- 1864 – The Battle of Westport in Missouri took place in which the United States Union were victorious over the Confederates.
- 1989 – Hungary delcares independence from the Soviet Union and proclaims itself a repbublic.
- 2011 – An earthquakes strikes near the city of Van in Turkey which had a magnitude of 7.1.
- 1654 – Johann Bernhard Staudt born in Vienna was an Austrian composer.
- 1940 – Pelé was born in Três Corações, Brazil. His full name is Edison Arantes do Nascimento and he is considered to be one of the greatest football players of all time.
- 1976 – Ryan Reynolds born in Vancouver, Canada is a succesful film and TV actor.