- 1016 – The Battle of Assandun took place in what is now though to be the village of Ashingdon in southeast Essex, England. It was a battle in which Canute the Great led the Danes to victory over the English forces of King Edmund II.
- 1944 – During World War II the Soviet Union invaded Czechoslovakia.
- 1967 – The timeless classic “The Jungle Book” is released by Walt Disney.
- 1789 – Giovanni Tadolini born in Bologna was an Italian composer and conductor.
- 1959 – Martina Navratilova born in Prague, Czechoslovakia is considered by any to be one of the greatest female tennis players of all tie winnning multiple titles.
- 1960 – Jean-Claude Van Damme born in Brussels, Belgium is martial art expert and Hollywood actor starring in many blockbusting action films.