- 1812 – Napoloean and his army began their retreat from Russia.
- 1864 – During the American Civil War at the Battle of Cedar Creek in Virginia, Major General Philip Sheridan led the Union army to victory after the Confederates led by Lieutenant General Jubal Early launched a surprise attack.
- 1977 – Concorde made its historic first landing in New York City.
- 1545 – Giovenale Ancina born in the Cuneo Province was an Italian music composer.
- 1962 – Evander Holyfield born in Atmore, Alabama is a former undisputed World Champion in both boxings cruiserweight and heavyweight divisions.
- 1981 – Heikki Kovalainen born in Suomussalmi, Finland is a Formula 1 racing driver.