- 1805 – The Battle of Trafalgar took place off the coast of Cape Trafalgar in Spain. The British Royal Navy led by Horatio Nelson defeated the combined forces of the French and Spanish.
- 1945 – In France, women gained the right to vote for the very first time.
- 1993 – England’s Nigel Short is defeated by the Russian Grandmaster Gary Kasparov for the World Chess Championship.
- 1833 – Alfred Nobel born in Stockholm, Sweden was a chemist and engineer among other things. He famously invented dynamite and also founded the Nobel Prizes.
- 1917 – Dizzy Gillespie born in Cheraw, South Carolina was a jazz musician and one of the greatest trumpet players of all time.
- 1956 – Carrie Fisher born in Beverly Hills, California is an American actress who is probably best known for playing the role of Princess Leia in the original Star Wars trilogy.