- 1872 – The first official international football (soccer) match took place and was between England and Scotland at the West of Scotland Cricket Club’s ground in Partick, Scotland. The final score was 0 – 0.
- 1966 – Barbados gained its independence from the United Kingdom.
- 1995 – The Gulf War known as Operation Desert Storm officially ended.
- 1955 – Billy Idol born in Stanmore, Middlesex is an English rock musician.
- 1965 – Ben Stiller born in New York City, New York is an American comedian and actor.
- 1987 – Dougie Poynter born in Corringham, Essex is an English musician. He is the Bass player and vocalist for the Brit pop/rock group McFly.