- 1700 – The Battle of Narva took place in Estonia in which in which the Swedish Empire defeated the Tsardom of Russia.
- 1794 – The Jay Treaty was signed in London between the United States and Great Britain. The treaty is credited with resolving issues between the two nations that existed since the Revoltionary War.
- 1850 – Somersby born Alfred, Lord Tennyson becomes British poet laureate.
- 1770 – Bertel Thorvaldsen born in Copenhagen, Denmark was a sculptor.
- 1942 – Calvin Klein born in Bronx, New York is an American fashion designer.
- 1961 – Meg Ryan born in Fairfield, Connecticut is an American actress and producer.