- 1821 – Panama gained its independence from Spain.
- 1862 – During the American Civil War the Battle of Cane Hill took place in Washington County, Arkansas in which the Union were victorious over the Confederacy.
- 1990 – Margaret Thatcher resigned as Prime Minister of Great Britain. She was in office for 11 years and leader of the Conservative Party for 15 years.
- 1757 – William Blake born in London was an English poet and painter.
- 1904 – Nancy Mitford born in London was an English novelist and biographer.
- 1961 – Martin Clunes born in Wimbledon, London is an actor and has starred in many hit TV series including Men Behaving Badly and Doc Martin.