- 1813 – At the Battle of Crysler’s Farm near Cornwall in Ontario, Canada, the Canadian and British forces defeated the American advances.
- 1918 – World War I came to an end as Germany surrendered.
- 1975 – The Republic of Angola gained independence from Portugal.
- 1821 – Fyodor Dostoyevsky born in Moscow was a Russian novelist and essayist.
- 1962 – Demi Moore born in Roswell, New Mexico is an American actress, film producer and director.
- 1974 – Leonardo DiCaprio born in Los Angeles, California is an American actor and film producer.